Want to know more about your pet's breed? Health issues? Community initiatives? This is your one-stop for that and more!
More Happy Tails
We wanted a pet containment system that was a ‘sure thing’ – not one that would need to be reinstalled. We were especially comforted by the fact that Invisible Fence® Brand has a great reputation with our vet and dog trainer. Having the indoor system has made a huge difference for us – our puppy is safe and secure in ‘his’ areas of the house.
– Bill & Geralin
Read More Happy Tails
> Health and Well Being
> Common Indoor Dog Poisons
Common Indoor Dog Poisons
Medicine bottles are seen as rattling toys to a puppy, who once he gnaws the bottle open, can eat the pills inside as treats.
Household Cleaning Agents
- Drain Cleaner is extremely dangerous - very toxic and deadly
- Tub & tile cleaners that removes lime
- Products containing disinfectants can be caustic
- Medicine bottles are seen as rattling toys to a puppy, who once he gnaws the bottle open, can eat the pills inside as treats
- Human medication and the possible combinations that can occur in a dog can be deadly
Mouse & Rat Baits
- Bait can cause bleeding or seizures, place bait in an unavailable area
- Plastic casings are seen as a challenge to get to the treat inside
- These baits are not poisonous to dogs
- The true danger comes from the plastic casings, which, if eaten, can harm a dog's insides
- Caffeine - can be found in chocolate, coffee, coffee grounds, soda, etc. - can cause an irregular heartbeat and affects the nervous system
- Onions & Garlic affect the blood
- Rising dough - fermentation creates alcohol and the rising of the dough can cause bloat.
- Macadamia Nuts cause weakness
- Moldy foods, especially dairy can cause tremors
- Bones - they may look like fun, but some, like chicken bones, can splinter easily
- Contains irritating substances
- Can cause mouth sores
- Can affect the nervous system and/or the lungs
In case of an emergency get to your vet, the local animal hospital or call 1-888-4 ANI-HELP (888-426-4435). For more information visit: www.napcc.aspca.org
Source: Special thanks to Dr. Steven Hanson, Senior Vice President of the National Animal Poison Control Center for his contributions to this piece.
- Most newer pennies (after 1983) have a zinc core that is dangerous to pets
- When swallowed, the outer core dissolves leaving the zinc core to poison the pet damaging blood cells and leading to kidney failure