Want to know more about your pet's breed? Health issues? Community initiatives? This is your one-stop for that and more!
More Happy Tails
The product delivered to the client is based on custom assessment of needs and thoughtful consideration of costs. The product is installed with promptness, accuracy, and assurance that service is a phone call away!
– Dr. Jane Williston
Armstrong Animal Clinic
Read More Happy Tails
> Health and Well Being
> Common Indoor Dog Poisons
Common Indoor Dog Poisons
Medicine bottles are seen as rattling toys to a puppy, who once he gnaws the bottle open, can eat the pills inside as treats.
Household Cleaning Agents
- Drain Cleaner is extremely dangerous - very toxic and deadly
- Tub & tile cleaners that removes lime
- Products containing disinfectants can be caustic
- Medicine bottles are seen as rattling toys to a puppy, who once he gnaws the bottle open, can eat the pills inside as treats
- Human medication and the possible combinations that can occur in a dog can be deadly
Mouse & Rat Baits
- Bait can cause bleeding or seizures, place bait in an unavailable area
- Plastic casings are seen as a challenge to get to the treat inside
- These baits are not poisonous to dogs
- The true danger comes from the plastic casings, which, if eaten, can harm a dog's insides
- Caffeine - can be found in chocolate, coffee, coffee grounds, soda, etc. - can cause an irregular heartbeat and affects the nervous system
- Onions & Garlic affect the blood
- Rising dough - fermentation creates alcohol and the rising of the dough can cause bloat.
- Macadamia Nuts cause weakness
- Moldy foods, especially dairy can cause tremors
- Bones - they may look like fun, but some, like chicken bones, can splinter easily
- Contains irritating substances
- Can cause mouth sores
- Can affect the nervous system and/or the lungs
In case of an emergency get to your vet, the local animal hospital or call 1-888-4 ANI-HELP (888-426-4435). For more information visit: www.napcc.aspca.org
Source: Special thanks to Dr. Steven Hanson, Senior Vice President of the National Animal Poison Control Center for his contributions to this piece.
- Most newer pennies (after 1983) have a zinc core that is dangerous to pets
- When swallowed, the outer core dissolves leaving the zinc core to poison the pet damaging blood cells and leading to kidney failure