The path to happier pets and a happier you starts here!
Click to Find out
More Happy Tails
How wonderful the Indoor Shield has worked for my Tinka (Yorkie). She is not reliably trained and I had tried every possible thing (to keep her off the rugs) and now at least when she has an accident, it is on the tile. It has been fabulous. My friends are amazed at how well it works.
– Bobbi & Tinka
In The News
> Giving Back
> Project Breathe
> Roanoke County apartment fire blamed on smoker
The donation is part of "Project Breathe™" by Invisible Fence® Brand which aims to equip every fire station in Canada, the United States and the U.K with pet oxygen masks.
Roanoke County apartment fire blamed on smoker
But one small silver lining has been the animals rescued from the building. Firefighters saved one dog and three cats from the burning structure.
It was an almost unimaginable scene Tuesday night. But the reality of the nightmare set in for many of those who lost their homes in Cedar Point apartment complex.
On Wednesday investigators determined that a cigarette disposed of in a plastic container started the fire on a second story balcony.
The fire was ruled accidental.
The fire climbed to the third floor and eventually caused the roof to cave in.
"When we started seeing fire and flames coming through the roof that tells us that the roof has been weakened and some roofs it only takes 7, 8, maybe 10 minutes before you can have a collapse," said Roanoke County Fire Chief Richard Burch.
Nobody was injured but 18 people lost their homes.
All eight apartments on the second and third floors are total losses.
Wednesday afternoon firefighters started allowing some people back into their homes one at a time to collect any items they could salvage.
But one small silver lining has been the animals rescued from the building.
Firefighters saved one dog and three cats from the burning structure.
One of those animals rescued was Michelle Pac’s dog Bailey. Pac was inHalifaxfor a softball game when the fire ignited Tuesday night.
"I can't believe it,” Pac said. “They said she was in there for probably about an hour and then when the glass shattered she just came out and they went up and got her, I don't know how."
Amazingly Bailey sustained only a couple of minor burns.
Others like Marjorie Huffmyer had to sweat it out overnight before hearing the good news about her pets.
"(At first) we kind of resigned to the fact that the cats didn't make it,” she said. “Then when I came in (Wednesday) morning at 8 they said we found a yellow cat. So they found one of my cats, took him to the vet, and put him on oxygen. While I'm at the vet they called me and said we found your second cat.”
But unfortunately others haven’t been so lucky.
Several pets are still missing more than 24 hours after the fire.
Source: WSLS 10 News